The Director, Policy + Research plays a leadership role in the strategic direction of Brookfield Institute’s policy and research activities. This individual:
- Leads the short- and long-term strategic planning of Brookfield Institute’s policy and research vision, goals and objectives, in collaboration with the Executive Director and the rest of the leadership team.
- Oversees the management and implementation of policy and research-related activities, including, establishing the research priorities of the Institute
- Oversees the development of the Institute’s work streams, ensuring all work meets a high quality of excellence and that projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Engages in outreach to potential external collaborators and/or subject matter experts to develop new partnership.
The Director, Policy + Research is part of the senior leadership of the Brookfield Institute and is thus also expected to contribute to the general management and strategic direction of the Institute, under the guidance of the Executive Director.
This position directly supervises the Institute’s Workstream Leads and indirectly provides feedback and mentorship to members of the Institute’s policy team.
Salary range: $101,068 – $161,446
About BII + E
The Brookfield Institute for Innovation + Entrepreneurship (BII+E) is an independent, non-partisan policy institute, housed at Ryerson University. We transform bold ideas into real-world solutions designed to help Canada navigate the complex forces and astounding possibilities of the innovation economy. We envision a future that is prosperous, resilient and equitable.
To learn more about BII+E and why you should work with us, visit: brookfieldinstitute.ca/about and follow us on Twitter @BrookfieldIIE.
If you are interested, please apply directly through Ryerson’s website.
To help us learn more about you, please provide a cover letter and resume outlining how you meet the following specific qualifications:
- Successful completion of a Graduate degree in public policy, economics, management science, social science or other related fields.
- Minimum 5 to 10 years of senior leadership experience in public policy, economics or related fields, in either an academic or applied research capacity.
- Ability to manage multiple complex research projects, along with strong general project management skills is required.
- Experience managing a team in a research or policy-related role.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to supervise unionized employees is an asset.
- Experience working in a consulting or management role is a strong asset.
- Strong understanding of economic or public policy, including the roles innovation and entrepreneurship play in contributing to economic development and competitiveness.
- Strong understanding of data and statistical/econometric models, including the ability to evaluate the work of team members or third parties, is essential to success.
- Strong communications (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong stakeholder and collaborator management skills.
- Familiarity with Google Suites products (Google Calendar, Gmail) and Microsoft Suites (Excel, Word, Power Point).
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity + Inclusion
Ryerson University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Important Notice Re: Job Postings during COVID-19
While we are committed to ensuring the best possible experience for all applicants, due to the situation regarding COVID-19, please be advised that Ryerson University (“Ryerson”) reserves the right to pause a job competition at any stage in the process. Applicants will be notified in the event that the job competition process in which they are participating is suspended or paused. We appreciate your understanding during these unprecedented times. Thank you for your interest in Ryerson University.