Graphic Design Intern
The Brookfield Institute is seeking a graphic design intern to support a fast-paced and exciting research agenda. Our ideal candidate will be creative, detail oriented and skilled at freelance graphic design, to execute the design and production of our print and online media. This role will contribute to the Institute’s efforts to build a robust, data-driven picture of innovation and entrepreneurship trends in Canada, and to inform thoughtful public policies that enable Canadians – from different regions, sectors and backgrounds – to seize the opportunities and prepare for the risks in the shift to an innovation-driven economy.
Position Title: Graphic Design Student Intern
Term: To be determined
Start/end date: Negotiable (January – September 2019)
Hours: up to 20 hours / week
As the Communications Intern, your role supports the dissemination and translation of the Brookfield Institute’s research by:
- Ensuring the ongoing support of the communications team in its accomplishment of key marketing and strategic communications objectives.
- Developing and maintaining relevant stakeholder engagement materials and lists.
- Providing operational support to internal clients (directors, project officers and researchers/work stream leads) and work streams on core communications, public relations and digital marketing initiatives.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working with project team leads and communications team to determine the desired look-and-feel for project assets;
- Digital art creation including cover art, graphs, charts and infographics;
- Report design and layout including subsequent revisions and updates throughout the design process, from project implementation to final art production; knowledge of publishing protocols is essential for both print and online material;
- Review printer proofs for colour accuracy and file integrity;
- Ensures the privacy and confidentiality of any materials.
Minimum level of education and specialty/discipline required
- Completion of high school and enrollment in a post-secondary degree program.
- Minimum of 1 year relevant experience.
- An interest in graphic design and creative arts.
Required skills and demonstrated knowledge
- Education in Graphic Design and/or 1+ years of relevant experience.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Proven ability to synthesize, gather and analyze complex information.
- Strong logical and critical reasoning skills.
- Computer proficiency, including experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint).
- High degree of creativity and thinking “outside the box” for new, innovative and fresh ideas.
- Exceptional time-management, organizational and planning skills.
- Responsiveness and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work to a high standard with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and fulfill time-sensitive requests.
- Proven ability to adhere to branding guidelines.
- Must be able to work legally work in Canada.Proficiency in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, etc….)
Required certifications, designation or licenses to complete the key responsibilities of the position
- No certifications, designations or licenses are required.
- Virtual/Off-site working environment, often during evenings and weekends.
If you are interested, please submit your cover letter and resume here.