The Brookfield Institute for Innovation + Entrepreneurship (BII+E) is an independent and nonpartisan institute, housed within Ryerson University, that is dedicated to understanding the risks and opportunities for Canada in an innovation-driven economy. BII+E supports this mission in three ways: 1) insightful research and analysis; 2) testing, piloting and prototyping projects; and, 3) policy innovation. All of these functions are supported by accessible communications and marketing.
BII+E’s audience spans across business, government and academia, and we are seen as a source of expert knowledge that works seamlessly and flexibly across sectors, and are often sought out by journalists seeking an objective and knowledgeable point of view on issues and current affairs related to the innovation economy.
People come to us to gain insights, gather information and stay informed on how society and the economy is shifting, within the context of innovation (from automation to artificial intelligence to digital literacy). We openly share our knowledge and findings; as a neutral third party, we are looked to for unbiased expertise and support.
We are seeking an experienced project manager and human centred design expert to lead complex projects, develop and manage partner relationships, thoughtfully design and execute research methodologies, and oversee research carried out by multi-disciplinary teams.
The ideal candidate will have: a demonstrated track-record of skillful project management; experience working collaboratively on a team and overseeing the work of researchers; experience designing and conducting qualitative research; expertise in human centred design methodologies; and the ability to synthesize and document insights in clear and compelling language. They will be curious about policy questions related to Canada’s changing economy, keen to apply creative and collaborative approaches to answering these questions, and motivated to contribute to actionable and impactful research.
The responsibilities for the Senior Project Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing, monitoring and managing a range of high-profile, multi-partner projects, from project planning to implementation.
- Managing partner and client relationships.
- Supporting the development of strategic local and international partnerships, and liaising with other departments across Ryerson as required.
- Identifying and advancing new project opportunities.
- Leading research on a project basis while supporting the development of the Institute’s research capacity.
To help us learn more about you, please provide a cover letter and resume outlining how you meet the following specific qualifications:
- Completion of a university degree.
- Minimum of five (5) years in a project leadership role, preferably including experience in client management and business development.
- Experience planning and managing applied research.
- Experience designing and applying a range of qualitative research methods, including human-centred design methods.
- Experience in strategic partnership development, ideally with public and private funders, government, community and industry partners.
- Strong leadership and project management skills
- Ability to motivate teams, and inspire members to innovate
- Sound problem solving and negotiation skills
- Ability to facilitate client and team meetings
- Financial and budgetary management skills
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Ability to scope research projects and develop proposals for funders and other partners
- Knowledge of human-centred design methodologies
- Strong written and verbal communication and knowledge translation skills, with the ability to deliver engaging and informative written content and presentations that clearly explain technical information to non-technical audiences and clients
- Comfort with ambiguity and complexity
If you are interested, please apply by the deadline: January 31, 2020.