The Brookfield Institute for Innovation + Entrepreneurship (BII+E) is an independent and nonpartisan institute, housed within Ryerson University, that is dedicated to understanding the risks and opportunities for Canada in an innovation-driven economy. BII+E supports this mission in three ways: 1) insightful research and analysis; 2) testing, piloting and prototyping projects; and, 3) policy innovation. All of these functions are supported by accessible communications and marketing.
BII+E’s audience spans across business, government and academia, and we are seen as a source of expert knowledge that works seamlessly and flexibly across sectors, and are often sought out by journalists seeking an objective and knowledgeable point of view on issues and current affairs related to the innovation economy.
People come to us to gain insights, gather information and stay informed on how society and the economy is shifting, within the context of innovation (from automation to artificial intelligence to digital literacy). We openly share our knowledge and findings; as a neutral third party, we are looked to for unbiased expertise and support.
As the AI + Society Work Stream Lead, this person will be responsible for leading development, execution and ongoing iteration of a clearly scoped work stream content strategy that supports the Institute’s impact, reputation, partnership and financial sustainability goals, in close collaboration with the Director, Policy + Research and other Work Stream Leads. This will involve identifying project opportunities that align with this strategy; working with the Institute’s communications team to identify and pursue media and stakeholder engagement opportunities; leading efforts to build and manage partnerships with leading experts and organizations in the field, from government, the private and non-profit sectors, and academia; identifying and pursuing funding opportunities; overseeing projects and project teams under the work stream; and maintaining awareness of major developments in Canada and around the world with respect to the work stream (e.g., related to AI technologies and their applications, government AI strategies, and public policy responses to AI opportunities and risks).
- Leads complex research projects
- Provides expertise in the conduct of complex qualitative and quantitative research and analysis
- Leads stakeholder engagement
- Advises on research priorities, partnership opportunities and strategy
- Successful completion of a post-secondary degree program in Public Policy, Economics or relevant field and a minimum of 4 years of relevant professional work experience in leading the design and execution of qualitative research, analysis and writing, and developing evidence-based policy advice for government audiences required; public policy responses to AI opportunities and risks an asset. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Proven ability to gather, synthesize and analyze complex information from a variety of sources, to identify trends in data and research, and to develop specific recommendations; strong logical reasoning and intellectual curiosity
- Proven ability to design, execute, and troubleshoot approaches to qualitative research using a range of tools, e.g., jurisdictional scans, case study research, literature reviews, expert interviews, policy analysis, ethnographic research, surveys, focus groups, and user-centered design
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to: steward collaborative projects under tight timelines; self-direct; work effectively on a team; manage partner relationships; problem solve; and ensure that deliverables meet a high standard of excellence
- Ability to work professionally with a wide range of stakeholders, including government officials, business leaders, academics, entrepreneurs and others
- Knowledge of key issues relating to innovation and entrepreneurship in Canada and an understanding of the Institute’s mission
- Strong understanding of the policy process, and of government players, processes and programs
- Computer proficiency, including the use of the Microsoft Office Suite of products.
If you are interested, please apply here.