The Brookfield Institute is seeking up to two summer interns to support a fast-paced and exciting research agenda. These roles will contribute to the Institute’s efforts to build a robust, data-driven picture of innovation and entrepreneurship trends in Canada, and to inform thoughtful public policies that enable Canadians – from different regions, sectors and backgrounds – to seize the opportunities and prepare for the risks in the shift to an innovation-driven economy.
This role could include supporting research for any of our four workstreams:
- Skills for an Innovation-Driven Economy:This work stream seeks to understand future skill demands across Canada, while helping companies and people gain the skills they need to thrive in an innovation-driven economy.
- AI + Society: This work stream seeks to explore the opportunities enabled by artificial intelligence (AI) while investigating the social, political, and ethical challenges of current and future capabilities and applications.
- An Innovative + Inclusive Economy: This work stream examines the distribution of risks and benefits in Canada’s innovation economy and explores how to improve equity and broaden participation.
- Entrepreneurship Ecosystems: This work stream seeks to study, monitor and evaluate the innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem across Canada to better understand the areas of growth and opportunity.
- Supports qualitative and/or quantitative research and analysis by conducting literature reviews; carrying out jurisdictional scans; analyzing public policies and programs; encoding, cleaning and organizing data and supporting stakeholder interviews, roundtables or other consultations.
- Contributes to writing internal and externally-facing documents in a clear and accessible format, including reports, discussion papers, powerpoint presentations and blog posts.
- Assists in the preparation of project information and statistics needed for proposals, presentation materials, and other communication products. May support the development of infographics and data visualizations.
- Provides support to general workstream development by gathering insights and participating in data synthesis with the BII+E team.
- Provides general administrative support to the team, such as organizing meeting logistics, scheduling interviews and events logistics.
- Currently enrolled in or have recently graduated from a Bachelor’s or Master’s program in public policy, economics, social science, business or another relevant field.
- Exceptional writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, and with a team.
- Strong logical reasoning and intellectual curiosity.
- An interest in issues relating to Canada’s innovation economy, entrepreneurship, and/or innovative approaches to policy development and service design.
- Proven ability to gather, synthesize and analyze information from a variety of sources.
- Experience with qualitative and/or quantitative research methods.
- Computer proficiency, including in the use of Microsoft Office and Google suites of products. Knowledge with Adobe Suite, Photoshop, InDesign and other graphic design / visual communication tools are not required but is an asset.
- Must be able to work legally work in Canada.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Applications are now open and will close Thursday, February 6 at 11:59pm. Please use this form to apply now.