About this Report
Better, Faster, Stronger: Maximizing the benefits of automation for Ontario’s firms and people explores the risks and rewards automation poses for industries and workers in Ontario by examining trends in the economy as a whole, gathering local insights from across the province, and conducting an in-depth analysis of two key sectors in Ontario that are broadly representative of these trends — manufacturing and finance and insurance.
This report outlines the dual challenge technology advances present to Ontario’s economy — to simultaneously improve lagging technological adoption, while mitigating its negative impacts for some workers — and proposes a bold strategy to meet this challenge head on.
Read this report to help you:
- Understand how automation and labour interact
- Understand the challenges businesses in Ontario face in adopting technology
- Understand how technology has and may impact Ontario’s workers in the future
- Learn what occupations are most vulnerable to automation
- Understand how technology shifts ahead may reshape skills demand, education and the economy
- Learn about some key actions that could be taken – by governments, employers, unions, workers, post-secondary institutions and training organizations – to help Ontario rise to the dual challenge automation presents