Let’s Get Digital Insights + Recommendations
This white paper distills the feedback we received from Let’s Get Digital, an event co-hosted with the Ontario Digital Government team to gain insights and recommendations for Ontario’s Digital Government Action Plan.
The white paper’s purpose is to help craft and contribute to Ontario’s first Digital Government Action Plan. In October 2016, we co-hosted Let’s Get Digital with the Ontario Digital Government, bringing together digital leaders from across industry, community, non-profit organizations, and government to participate in a series of activities. Each activity was centered around a research agenda that sought to engage participants in sharing how they thought the Digital Government team could fulfill its mandate –improving how the Government of Ontario delivers services to put citizens first and become more user-friendly.
Read this white paper to help you:
- Understand the real and perceived challenges and opportunities the Government of Ontario faces concerning changing how public services are delivered
- Dive deeper into our recommendations and potential solutions for addressing these challenges
Let’s Get Digital revealed challenges and opportunities in these areas:
1. Attracting and retaining talent,
2. Organizational culture in the Ontario Public Service (OPS), and
3. Internal and external communication.
Let’s Get Digital participants believed the Ontario government’s hiring process is too lengthy and opaque and this, compounded by the government’s reputation as staid and boring, hurts their prospects for hiring digital talent. Once in, participants noted the culture of asking permission stifles creativity and productivity. Finally, too many in the OPS are unclear about Digital Government’s mandate and how it will impact their day-to- day work. Despite these challenges, the mixed group of participants felt there was tremendous opportunity for digital transformation. We recommend that the Digital Government team work closely with the rest of government to:
- Improve training and development
- Encourage collaboration through technology
- Reform IT procurement
- Expand their communications efforts
- Work to engage and retain digital talent
- Encourage the public service to focus on the end user
We’re excited by the recommendations that emerged from Let’s Get Digital and the potential opportunities that digital transformation offers Ontarians when it comes to accessing high-quality public services.
Share this Post